5 Years Old - Portrait Session

I will never be able to explain why it is easier to photograph someone else's child, but photographing my own daughter is difficult.  Maybe it's because she knows how to press my buttons.  Maybe it's because I know what shot I want, not what shot I'm going to get.  Or maybe it's just that we're so similar and stubborn.

If photographing large groups at weddings is like herding cats, then this is just one cat.  One small, cute, insistent cat.  My cat.

I loved the hat and glasses and so did she.  We had a lot of fun playing with props.  A lot of clients ask me about props and I certainly encourage them when the enhance the photo and don't distract from the actual subject - the person!

Props don't always have to be baseball bats and varsity jackets, but they certainly can be. Sometimes, it's fun to bring something sentimental (a baby blanket made by a family member) and sometimes props are just pure fun!

We found a dandelion and it was huge!  She had a wonderful time, playing with it, waving it around, and then trying to blow the pieces onto my camera.


If you book a session in a location with tall grass, be sure to dress all participants in long pants and long sleeves.  We don't want little buggies ruining the shoot!


I just love rain boots!  In my mind, they go with everything and they are a fun fashion statement.  Plus, you can buy them a little big and let the kiddo grow into them ;)  Gotta love a good bargain!


This is one of my favorite shots from the day.  First, I love her belly button.  A funny thing to love about my kid, I know, but she has the best belly button.  It's neither an innie or an outie.  Second, I love that she looks like an explorer, which is exactly what she was doing in the wide open land.  From where she was standing, she could see the lake and probably some animals and looking at this picture makes me wonder what she was thinking.


Uh oh.  We're starting to pout...someone just found out that it's almost time to go home.  She spent quite a bit of time not cooperating, so I threatened to take us home.  She didn't like that.  Daddy tried his best to help and she tried her best to stay mad.  This is her I'm-mad-I-swear-and-you-can't-make-me-smile look.


 Crying and telling me not to take her picture while she's throwing a fit.  But, as most people know, I like to capture it all - the good, the bad, and the ugly.  That's life.  So, as I chased her around, snapping away, she screamed that I should stop taking pictures.  Then, she stood still and gave me this devil stare.  Uh oh.  Time to take a break and give the kiddo a hug.


All in all, we got some great pictures, had an awesome picnic dinner, and enjoyed our time together.  We didn't budget nearly enough time to drive there (in traffic) and spend time playing, but we'll remember that for next year.  Maybe by the time she's 18, we'll have this down pat ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment