To my Sophie on her 5th birthday...


To you, my Sophie, on your 5th birthday,

I love how you say things in an odd way or say them incorrectly, but that too is starting to fade.  Your growing up so quickly and already I can tell that you’re bound to be an incredibly graceful and kind young woman.  Though that’s still a ways off.  Thank goodness.

Your wisdom and compassion amazes me and feels beyond just five years old.  You know things about people and sense their inner soul in a way that makes their eyes sparkle.  You win hearts easily and I pray you never break any – though I know you will. 

I love that our dogs are your best friends and you are somehow able to see the good in each pet, even Morgan.  I love that you’re so loyal to your best friend Eliza and treat her like a sister, since you have none of your own.  I’ve always thought of Auntie Rita and Auntie Ne as sisters and I hope you will have your own Rita’s and Ne’s, even as you get older and get your “own life” and boyfriends.  Never let go of the people who will paint your toenails, eat junk food with you, and let you cry uncontrollably on their shoulder or lap.  They are true friends and you should always remember to be there for them.

Remember to love ice cream, just as you do now.  It is the comfort food of our family and, when properly mixed with chocolate, really can turn a bad day around.  Trust me.  Find something physical you love and do it constantly.  Blend the two together (ice cream and something physical) and you’ll never worry about your thighs.  Don’t worry about your thighs.  You are so beautiful and you always will be.  There is no reason – ever – to doubt your beauty, inside or out.

I asked you a few nights ago if you’d always talk to me – always tell me everything.  You promised you would and I plan to hold you to it.  I don’t care if you made the promise when you were four.  So call me.  I’m your mother and I love you and will always miss you unless you’re sitting next to me.  Scratch that - cuddling with me.  And we’ll never get too old to cuddle.

We’ve become great friends, you and I.  I love shopping with you (you’re always honest about what doesn’t look good on me) and I love watching our girlie shows and painting our nails.  I always knew, deep down, that I was meant to have a daughter.  I just never knew she’d be such an incredible person.

In ten years, you might be slamming the bedroom door, yelling something about how all of your friends get to do this or that…and probably something about how it’s just not “fair”…but I’m here to tell you that as long as you’re able to grow up and you’re healthy, as long as I’m able to watch you grow up, and as long as you always know how much I love you, life will be fair enough.

Beyond good health, I wish for you a lifetime of kisses (both chocolate and real); friendships with humans, animals, and even imaginary friends (I apologize for stepping on “David” that one morning in your bedroom); respect for yourself and others; laughter so hard that no noise comes out and your cheeks hurt afterward; love – unconditional love; and passion.   

For selfish reasons, I wish I could freeze time.  Freeze your little hand in mine as we cross the street, freeze the faces you make, the way your laugh sounds, and the giant bear hugs you give freely and in public.  I wish I could hold still the way we feel about each other and how quickly you forgive me for putting you in timeout or making a parental mistake.  I know these things won’t last long.

So please, if you’re reading this and you’re “old” – like slamming the door, hanging out only with friends, and giving one-word answers kind of old, come find me and give me a hug.  Tell me one thing I don’t know about you (because I bet at this point there are many) and reassure me that, no matter what, you’re still my baby.  My little girl.

I love you more than life itself, shayna punim, and I couldn’t be more proud of the person you are and the person you’re becoming.

Love,
Mommy 

No comments:

Post a Comment